- 2 chickens (sliced in serving size)
- 1 1/2 cups Italian Dressing, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup Barbecue Seasoning, recipe follows
- 1 cup Barbecue Sauce, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons ground mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons Barbecue Seasoning
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup canola oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups paprika
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 3/4 tablespoons onion powder
- Barbecue Sauce:
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 5 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Mama’s Guide Instructions:
Wash chicken slices in cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Place chicken in a large bowl or baking dish, coat with Italian dressing and evenly season with Barbecue Seasoning. For best results, allow the chicken to marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
If cooking inside: Take the chicken out of the refrigerator and brush chicken with Neely’s Barbeque Sauce.
Place into a preheated 350 degree F oven for 45 minutes.
If grilling outside: Thirty minutes before you’re ready to cook, take the chicken out of the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature. Preheat the grill to a medium temperature, about 275 degrees F preferably over hickory and charcoal.
Put the chicken slices on grill, meat side down. Cover grill and cook for about 50 minutes. Turn over chicken and let it brown until the chicken becomes golden, about 15 to 20 minutes. The wing and the drumstick should become very tender and will easily pull away at the joints. Brush the chicken with Barbecue Sauce during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, except the oil and salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups
Add all ingredients to a bowl and stir until combined. Keep in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, for 1 hour 15 minutes.
Yield: 3 1/2 cups