La Torta is Argao southern Cebu’s famous delicacy. Argao’s previous Pitlagong Festival was replaced in 2011 by La Torta Festival, a feast mainly dedicated to its famous La Torta bread.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup tuba
- 3 cups sugar
- 20 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 cups cooking oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- a pinch of anise
Note: use an electric mixer.
1. Pour the tuba into the flour. Add the salt. Mix well.
2. Add the sugar gradually into the egg yolks while beating well.
3. Add the oil. Blend well.
4. Put the mixture into a pan lined with paper and greased with butter or oil. Add anise.
5. Wait for 7 hours before baking (to allow the batter to rise). However, if the weather is cold, wait for 8 hours before baking.
6. Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit until cake tests done.
Note: instead of tuba for the torta, some use sparkling wine, such as ricadonna or asti spumanti, or even a sparkling rose if you don’t want it so sweet.