It’s always my choice to use coconut milk or evaporated milk, all purpose cream or even heavy cream in Pininyahang Manok. I’m completely partial to dishes prepared with “gata”. Because that’s our granny’s all time favorite ingredients in most of their recipes.
I think it’s yummier and that’s just my opinion.
2-3 pounds chicken (I used a combination of legs and thighs.)
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 thumb size ginger, sliced into strips
1 medium onion, sliced
12 ounce can, pineapple chunks (juice reserved)
1 can coconut milk
1 red bell pepper, sliced into squares
1 large carrot, sliced into circles
2 teaspoons fish sauce (patis)
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons cooking oil
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Marinate chicken in the reserved pineapple juice for 20-30 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a pot and saute garlic, ginger and onions.
3. Add fish sauce and marinated chicken. Set aside the marinade for later. Cook chicken until lightly browned.
4. Add peppercorn, coconut milk and leftover marinade. Cover and simmer until chicken is done about 15 minutes. Stir often to prevent coconut milk from curdling. Add a little chicken broth if it gets too thick.
5. Uncover pot and add carrot, bell pepper and pineapple chunks. Simmer until vegetables are crisp tender.
6. Salt & pepper to taste. Turn off heat.