- 500 grams boneless chicken breasts, cut into 2 x 2-inch cubes
- Screwpine or pandan leaves (to wrap chicken cubes)
- corn oil, for frying
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 tablepoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
FOR SESAME SAUCE
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup tamarind paste
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1 In a bowl, combine ingredients for the marinade. Add chicken cubes and marinate for at least 20 minutes or overnight.
2 Wrap the marinated chicken in pandan leaves. Deep-fry in medium hot oil until golden brown.
3 To make sesame sauce: Pour warm water over tamarind paste and let it sit. After 5 minutes, strain the juice and place in a saucepan with the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for 10 minutes. Serve on the side.
Frying tip: Wash and wipe the leaves dry to prevent chicken from splattering when frying.