- 4 slices thickly sliced white bread
- 4 slices deli ham or turkey (or both)
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 slices of mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, divided
- 3-4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, divided
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- powdered sugar, garnish
- jam or fruit preserves, optional, garnish
In a wide, shallow bowl, beat eggs and milk together, and season with salt and pepper.
Assemble two sandwiches; mustard on one piece of bread, mayonnaise on the other, ham/turkey and cheese inside.
Put sandwich together and lightly butter the outsides of each piece of bread. (1/2 tablespoons per side.)
Melt another 1 tablespoon butter in a medium pan or skillet over medium heat and dip both sides of sandwich in egg mixture, pressing down to make sure it really absorbs mixture, and transfer to skillet.
Cook until golden brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes, and then flip and cook other side for another 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
Repeat with second sandwich, using remaining butter to grease pan.
Transfer to serving plates, dust lightly with powdered sugar and serve immediately with jam or fruit preserves.