Yes you can easily cook homemade pan tortillas for your kids in a Pan with any savory meat filling you like! Your own homemade tortillas sandwich. No need for oven!
3 cups plain (all purpose) flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup warm water (lukewarm like a baby bath)
1. Mix the flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
2. Add the oil and water and mix well until the dough starts to come away from the sides of the bowl and form a ball.
3. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for 3 to 5 minutes or until dough is smooth. Add a little more flour if it is too sticky.
4. Shape the dough into a sausage shape about 40cm long.
5. Divide the dough in half and half again and so on until you have 16 pieces roughly the same size.
6. Roll each piece into a ball and then flatten it out with the palm of your hand.
7. Cover the dough pieces with a clean tea towel and allow them to rest for 15 minutes.
8. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
9. Working on one at a time, roll out each dough piece on a lightly floured surface. Try to get them nice and thin.
10. Place the dough circle into the not frying pan and cook for 1 minute or until a few golden brown spots appear on the underside. Some bubbles will also start to form on top.
11. Flip the tortilla over and cook for another 30 seconds. If the tortillas are browning too fast, turn the heat down a little.
12. Remove the tortilla from the pan and place in a large ziploc bag or covered container. This will keep them flexible and warm.
13. Repeat steps 9 to 12 with the remaining dough circles.
14. Serve warm with your favourite taco fillings
Special Photo Courtesy of catpacktx