2 kilos medium-size tulingan (bullet tuna)
Small square of banana leaf, enough to cover the bottom of your palayok (clay pot)
2 bunches of unripe sampaloc (tamarind), washed and cracked
3 cloves garlic, crushed
½ c sea salt
Pinch of pepper
Optional: ¼ kg of pork fat, sliced into thin strips
1. Slit fish midway on both sides and press to flatten or if you have the big bullet tuna just half them in two.
2. Line bottom of palayok with 4 to 5 pieces of fish, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and top with pork fat, garlic and sampaloc
3. Add another layer and repeat
4. Add water until fish is covered
5. Cover the palayok and place it over hot coal until the water evaporates.
6. Cook until a little liquid is left at the bottom. This is called patis ng isda (fish sauce).
7. Serve with fresh, chopped tomatoes and fish sauce over hot, steaming rice.