(BROWN RICE CAKE)
1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1/2 tablespoon annatto powder* diluted in 1/2 cup water
1 cup water
1 teaspoon lye (lihiya) water
*Annato powder is atchuete or atsuete
*What is lye water (lihiya), a very little amount of lye water is added to kutchinta recipe to make it gooey in texture (it makes the texture slightly elastic). This is what makes kutchinta different from other kakanin. You can buy lye water or lihiya in palengkeng bayan if you’re in Philippines, for other countries you can buy it in asian stores, or Filipino Online stores near your area. You can also buy lye water solution in Lazada Philippines for Cash on Delivery Payment Nationwide – Green Leaves Lye Water
1. In a mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
2. Add the annato water and the other 1 cup water.
3. Mix thoroughly, strain to remove lumps.
4. Pour in the molds and steam for 30-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
5. Once cooked, let cool before removing from the molds.
6. Serve with grated coconut.
Cook’s Tip: Use a drop of red food coloring if annatto or atsuete is not available.