(Sauteed Mung Beans & Fried Round Scad)
1 pack Mung beans, pre-soaked in water
1/2 pound pork, cubed
1/2 pound shrimps, peeled & deveined
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, sliced
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 large piece bittermelon, sliced in 3-inch length pieces
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bunch bittermelon leaves or 1 package frozen bittermelon leaves (thawed-out)
2 pork bouillon cubes
7 cups water
2 tablespoons cooking oil
fish sauce to taste
1. Drain pre-soaked Mung beans. Transfer into 5 cups boiling water and simmer until tender. Set aside.
2. Heat cooking oil in a pot. Saute garlic, onions and tomatoes until soft and fragrant.
3. Add pork and saute for a few minutes until light brown. Season with fish sauce. Pour in 2 cups water. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until pork is tender.
4. Pour in cooked Mung beans. Add bittermelon, bouillon cubes and black pepper. Simmer for a few minutes or until bittermelons are tender.
5. Add bittermelon leaves and shrimps. Cook for 1 minute or until shrimps turn pink. Cover pot. Turn off heat.