What’s your secret to a perfectly smooth leche flan?
• 10 pieces of raw eggs
• 1 small can of condensed milk
• 1 cup of fresh or evaporated milk
• ½ cup of white sugar
• ½ tsp of vanilla extract
For the caramel:
• 1 cup of brown sugar
• 4 pieces of calamansi (optional)
• 3 tablespoon of water
Mama’s Guide Instructions:
1. I use slotted spoon to separate egg yolks from white. Crack all the raw eggs one by one and separate the yolks from the egg white. We will only use the yolks. Place all yolks into a bowl.
2. Gently beat the egg yolks. Gradually pour the condensed milk and vanilla extract as you beat. Next, pour fresh milk and sugar. Continue to beating until well combined and smooth. Continue mixing until the desired consistency is achieved and there should be less bubbles. These big bubbles will become holes on your flan when cooked.
3. Transfer into another bowl and strain. This will lessen the big bubbles on your mixture. Ypu want to achieve a smooth texture.
4. Prepare the caramel by boiling a small amount of water in a saucepan. Lower heat when brown sugar is added. Continuously stir until sugar caramelizes. You may put calamansi to enhance flavor while others would put a little coffee powder. (It is just optional). Immediately pour the syrup into the llaneras. Set aside and let it cool.
5. For steaming: Transfer the egg and milk mixture into each llanera. Make sure to cover each with aluminum foil and cook using a steamer for about 30 minutes or until toothpicm inserted in the center comes oiut clean.
Set aside to let cool before refrigerating.
Water should be boiling when you start steaming the leche flan mixture. Adjust heat to low, so as not to over cook your leche flan. Always cover your steamer with clean cloth before covering steamer to prevent water drippings.
#mamasguide #mamasguidehome #happycooking