Filipino Beef Steak or Bistek tagalog is one of my favorite pinoy dish (ulam). This recipe is simple, easy, affordable (murang ulam) and delicious ala Mama’s Guide Recipes. Happy cooking!
Where to buy the Rib Eye Steak? I bought it in Sm Supermarket meat section, sold in small tray, pre cut. 100 pesos per tray 250g approximately. I suggest you buy the pre cut, the slices are perfectly thin and the price is a good deal for 1-2 person. I bought 2 trays to cook 500g beef steak. Good for 2-4 servings.
Filipino Beef Steak
500g rib eye steak/beef sirloin, thinly sliced
1 large white onion, sliced in rings
5-10 pcs small Calamansi, (squeeze the juice)
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper
1 cup water
1. Season beef with salt to taste. Using a non stick pan, add little oil. Fry or grill the steak over high-medium heat until brown on both side. Drain from oil and transfer into a plate lined with paper towels.
2. In another pan, add soy sauce, and add fried beef. Season with some ground pepper ans add half of the onion rings. (I dont like a greasy beef steak, so I used a new pan).
3. Let it simmer over low heat and let the beef absorb the soy sauce for about 3 to 5 minutes. (quick way to make your beef taste good even without marination process).
4. Pour in 1 cup of water and continue to simmer for about 5-10 minutes. Add juiced calamansi and continue to simmer until beef is cooked through.
4. Season with salt and sugar to taste, and add the 2nd half of onion rings. Cover pot.
5. Turn off heat. Serve and enjoy!
You may also try our newest recipe:
Want a Mama’s Guide Mobile App? From our website, go to chrome browser settings and click “Add to home screen”. An icon will automatically display on your mobile screen for you to access our website anytime you want.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our daily updates of recipes and click yes to notifications. Happy cooking!