Yummy Orange Chicken ala Panda Express. No need for take out, because from now on you can cook it anytime you feel like! In this recipe I used cassava starch for the chicken breading and glaze sauce. Not everyone knows that cassava starch is also good compared to cornstarch in chicken breading. The aroma of cassava smells divine while I’m frying it! And what I read is that cassava starch is used by most Chinese kitchen because it doesn’t burn easily when fried, compared to flour it turns blackish when over cooked.
Cassava starch gives your fillet a crunchy white texture looks when fried and gives your sauce the ultimate transparent glazed. You got to try it.
FILIPINO STYLE ORANGE CHICKEN
1 kilo boneless skinless chicken breasts fillet (cut into 1-1/2” cubes)
1 ½ cups all cassava starch (or cornstarch alternatively)
2 eggs (beaten)
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
Oil (for frying)
For Orange Sauce:
1 ½ cups water
1 orange squeezed – about 4 tbsp.
(Cut it in halves and use a spoon to squeeze out juice and a little pulp is not bad)
¼ cup lemon juice
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoon orange zest (grated)
1 cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon ginger root (minced)
2 tablespoon garlic (minced)
2 tablespoons onion (chopped)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (for a spicy kick, add minced red chili peppers)
½ teaspoon sesame oil
3 tablespoons cassava starch
3 tablespoons water (for cassava starch)
Green Onions for garnish, Garnish (On the Side: steamed broccoli and fresh slice of orange)
- For the Chicken: In a bowl, mix flour, salt, and pepper. Dip each chicken in egg mixture and shake to remove excess eggs, roll to coat in flour mixture to coat and shake a bit to remove excess flour coating.
- Then fry chicken in batches at 375 degrees in a deep fryer until cooked in the inside (or use a small shallow sauce pot with oil). Drain from oil and transfer to a plate with paper towels. Set aside.
- For the Sauce: In a large pan, pour 1 ½ cups water, lemon juice, orange juice, rice vinegar, and soy sauce. Whisk together over medium heat for a few minutes. Add in brown sugar, orange zest, ginger garlic, and onion. Let it boil. Pour a few drops of sesame oil to add a hint of flavor (about half a teaspoon)
- Dissolve 3 tablespoons of cassava starch with 1/4 cup of water and mix well. Gradually add and whisk cassava starch mixture into sauce until it becomes thick. Adjust heat to lowest and keep stirring. Turn off heat.
- Transfer chicken into serving plate and discard used paper towels. Pour sauce over breaded chicken. Sprinkle red pepper flakes and garnish with green onions. Enjoy!
YOU MAY ALSO TRY OUR: