Chicken Sotanghon soup with boiled eggs or Vermicelli noodles is a favorite Filipino recipe on a cold weather not only because it is so easy and quick to do. Filipino moms also cooks Chicken Sotanghon whenever we are not feeling well too.
No wonder, nowadays you can easily buy any instant sotanghon noodles in Lucky Me cups or buy it in fastfood chains like Jolibee.
We all love Sotanghon soup don’t we? Its everyone’s favorite home cooked meal through the years. Simple, yummy and delicious with spring onion garnish and boiled eggs too!
Chicken Sotanghon Soup with Eggs
1 pack sotanghon noodles (vermicelli)
6 pieces chicken breast fillet, shredded or sliced
10 cups water (or more depending on the noodles used)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped
2 tbsp fish sauce (patis)
1 1/2 tbsp annatto powder (achuete)
1 medium carrots, cut in strips
Spring onions, chopped
Toasted garlic (optional)
1. In a large soup pot, heat oil and saute garlic until slightly brown and add onion. Saute in medium to low heat.
2. Next, add and saute chicken, carrots and season with fish sauce. Let it simmer and cover for about five minutes.
3. Pour water and let it boil.
4. Dissolved annato powder or atsuete in 2 tbsp of water then pour it in the soup. Stir well to incorporate color.
4. Soak the sotanghon noodles in a bowl of water for about a minute, drain from water then add to the soup. Let it simmer until noodles are soft and cooked through.
5. Serve hot with sliced boiled eggs, toasted garlic and chopped spring onions.
Enjoy! Happy cooking!