Another version of Kalderetang Batangas sa Buto buto na may gata with a kick of Spicy (Birds eye chili pepper). This recipe did not use ready made tomato sauce. But used a traditional style of cooking Kaldereta. For some who doesn’t know, it resembles Beef stew. But this one is much tastier because it has additional ingredients, like liver spread that makes it unique from beef stew. It has a kick of sweetness from pickle relish and it didn’t used tomato sauce but fresh tomatoes. The natural reddish color came from atsuete. Try it today, it is absolutely delicious. How long does it take to tenderize the meat? For Pork Spare Ribs, it takes an hour to make it tender. For Beef spare ribs it usually takes 2hrs to tenderize. If using a pressure cooker, it only takes 30 minutes after it whistles to tenderize pork or beef.
Kalderetang Buto Buto sa Gata ala Batangas
- 1.5 kilos beef Spare ribs (buto-buto) or pork spare ribs
- 2 tbsp. Star Margarine
- 4 tbsp. Sweet Pickle Relish
- 3 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 400ml coconut milk (or coconut cream)
- 1 small can Liver Spread
- 2 pcs. large Potatoes cut into cubes
- 1 cup grated Cheese
- 1 tsp. ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. Chili Powder
- 4 tbsp. Achuete Seeds (dissolved in 1 cup hot water)
- 5 cloves minced Garlic
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 6 pcs. large Tomatoes chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. patis to taste
- 3 pcs Labuyo or Birds eye chili, chopped
- Using a casserole, sauté garlic, onion and tomatoes in margarine.
- Add spare ribs, Worcestershire sauce, sweet pickle relish, salt, pepper and 5 cups of water (900ml). Place lid and let it boil and simmer until meat becomes tender, check and add water as needed. (Make sure meat is tender, it is one key factor in cooking delicious Caldereta)
- Once meat becomes tender. You can then add potatoes, chili powder, coconut milk and atsuete juice (squeezed from seeds and drained). Place back lid and let potatoes cook.
- Finally, add liver spread and grated cheese and chili pepper. Mix it to incorporate the taste.
- Add salt, patis and pepper to adjust taste.
Cooking Secret: I added dried herbs like 1 tsp dried basil in the broth as I boil the meat to make it more delicious. I also added 1 tbsp. rice wine. (optional)
YOU MAY ALSO TRY OUR: