Mama’s favorite recipe, pinangat na Bisugo. The taste is between sinigang and paksiw. Best paired with a plate of hot or newly cooked rice. Very healthy and yummy indeed! Come on and lets have a feast.
Pinangat na Bisugo sa Kamatis at Calamansi (Threadfin Brim)
1 lb. Bisugo (Threadfin Brim), cleaned and gutted
3 pcs. Large-sized tomatoes,
½ cup squeezed juice from calamansi (calamondin)
1 pc. Medium onion, sliced
1 thumb-sized ginger, peeled and chopped
2 cups water
1 tsp. salt
4 pcs long chili (Siling Haba)
1. Place half of the slices of tomatoes in the bottom of a pan with some slices of onion and ginger. And set aside your remaining tomatoes for later use.
2. Add each Bisugo on top and then top it with your remaining tomatoes.
Pour calamansi juice on your bisugo, throw in siling haba and add 2 cups of water. Then sprinkle pinch of salt.
3. Let it marinate for a few minutes to let the flavor absorbed. Giving it an extra few minutes will allow the ingredients to sink in and taste even better.
4. After a few minutes, place it in stove and start cooking. Bring it to a boil and then add some vegetable oil. Adjust heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the fish is cooked. Don’t overcook the fish if you dont like a flaky fish.
5. Turn off stove and transfer on a serving bowl. Enjoy!
You can use extra salt and calamansi until you get your prefered taste. Add some heapings of patis (fish sauce) on the side for dippings.
You may substitute vinegar, kamias (bilimbi fruit) and tamarind fruit as alternatives for calamansi and tomatoes.
You may also try strawberries and green mangoes!
For other types of fish, you can also try the less bony like sapsap (ponyfish), pompano, hasa-hasa (short mackerel), tambakol (yellowfin tuna) or matambaka (bigeye scad). Or try the expensive lapu-lapu (grouper).
You may also try:
Did you try cooking this recipe? Send us your food photo. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or message us on our Facebook Page.