This ampalaya recipe is simple and a favorite Filipino recipe. We love eggs in ampalaya and a hint of alamang makes it so tasty. Yummy! I also included an instruction on how to prepare bitterless ampalaya indicated at the bottom of recipe.
Did you know that Ampalaya or Bitter Gourd have numerous health benefits. Yes its very healthy and has some instant effects in my health whenever I eat Ampalaya.
Herbal Benefits of Ampalaya (Bitter Gourd):
Ampalaya contains a mixture of flavanoids and alkaloids make the Pancreas produce more insulin that controls the blood sugar in diabetics. Aside from Ampalaya’s medicinal value, it is good source of vitamins A, B and C, iron, folic acid, phosphorous and calcium. Ampalaya is also rich in antioxidants that protect the cells of the body from damage of free radicals (metabolic by-products, usually waste).
• Good for rheumatism and gout
• And diseases of the spleen and liver
• Aids in lowering blood sugar levels
• Helps in lowering blood pressure
• Relives headaches
• Disinfects and heals wounds & burns
• Can be used as a cough & fever remedy
• Treatment of intestinal worms, diarrhea
• Helps prevent some types of cancer
• Enhances immune system to fight infection
• For treatment of hemorrhoids
• Is an antioxidant and parasiticide
• Is antibacterial and antipyretic
Preparation & Use of Ampalaya:
• For coughs, fever, worms, diarrhea, diabetes, juice Ampalaya leaves and drink a spoonful daily.
• For other ailments, the fruit and leaves can both be juiced and taken orally.
• For headaches wounds, burns and skin diseases, apply warmed leaves to afflicted area.
• Powdered leaves, and the root decoction, may be used as stringent and applied to treat hemorrhoids.
It’s absolutely helpful to our body. So without further a do, let’s start cooking this very healthy meal.
Ampalaya Guisado (with Egg and Alamang)
1 cup fresh alamang
2 tsps. tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsps. onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 eggs, beaten
1 medium ampalaya, seeded and sliced finely
patis to taste
Using low heat, heat oil in a medium pan. Sauté garlic, onion until wilted, and add tomatoes.
Add in ampalaya and cook for a few minutes. Pour beaten eggs and stir, let it cook for a minute.
Toss alamang into pan and mix thoroughly.
Simmer over low heat until alamang is completely cooked. Add patis and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
How to prepare bitterless Ampalaya:
Prepare a big bowl with lukewarm water and a teaspoon of salt mixture then soak for at least 5 minutes then squeeze it using two hands to drip the liquid from the ampalaya before cooking.
You may also try our new recipe:
Credits: Jose Marcelino
Did you try cooking this recipe? Send us your food photo. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.
You may also post it in your own timeline publicly: Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and hashtag us #MamasGuideRecipes. Thanks a lot for supporting our website and help other friends discover great recipes.