What is Winter Melon Milk Tea made of?
Winter Melon is starting to gain fame as a favorite beverage. Did you know that Kundol or in english known as Winter Melon is actually a vegetable? Yes.. you heard it right.. Winter Melon or “Kundol” is a vine-like flowering plant which bears “fruits” used in different recipes.
Kundol is fully loaded with nutrients which are beneficial in losing weight, helps prevent migraines, and can help eliminate free radicals. It may also help in keeping the kidneys healthy and help manage hypertension. (Recipe updated May 4, 2021)
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 2 hours
Winter Melon Milk Tea Recipe
1 kilogram Winter Melon (Kundol)
1 cup brown sugar powder (250g)
1/4 cup white sugar (50g)
black pearls, cooked
1/4 cup fresh milk
1. Prepare and wash the winter melon and then remove the skin.
2. Then slice the flesh into small cubes. Transfer them into a large pot.
3. Sprinkle brown sugar powder and mix it evenly. Let it stand for about an hour until there is a thin layer of water in the pot.
4. Bring it to a boil over high heat, and then add white sugar. (I would advise to add the skin and seeds back in this step.)
5. Adjust heat to low and just let it simmer for 1 ½ hours to 2 hours based on your cooking pot until the winter melon becomes transparent.
6. Turn off the heat and let it cool first.Strain the juice out. And press or squeeze the winter melon with a large spoon heavily during the process to extract more juice. Or you can use a clean cloth to wrap the winter melon and squeeze out the juice. (katasin maigi)
7. How to store: store in airtight container and refrigerate up to 2 weeks. (There is no preservatives in this homemade version).
8. How to serve: add water three times more than the juice to make an easy winter melon tea. You can add your favorite milk and some black pearls to make a delicious Winter Melon Milk Tea!! So yummmy….
9. Serve and enjoy!