Ginataang Kamansi at Alimasag recipe’s main ingredients is the Kamansi fruit.
Kamansi or breadnut in English is somewhat relative and resembles jackfruit and often confused with Breadfruit, but they differ from each other. Kamansi fruit is from a single stemmed evergreen tree. They say Kamansi is healthy vegetable or fruit good for breastfeeding moms.
According to Stuart Exchange: “Fruits, particularly the young ones, are boiled and eaten as a vegetable.
– Seeds are rich in starch, eaten boiled or roasted.
– Ripe fruit is sweet. and flavorsome.
– Seed is rich in protein, low in fat; rich in minerals, especially niacin.”
Artocarpus altilis, also known as breadfruit. The species of tree in the Moraceae fig family found in the Philippines. Various names for this fruit in the Philippines: Kamansi (Kamanse), Dalungyan, Ogob, Antipolo, Pakak. It is common in the provinces of Cagayan, Laguna Provinces in Luzon, Leyte, Cebu and occasional in the Quezon province.
GINATAANG KAMANSI AT ALIMASAG
- 2 cups thick coconut milk
- 5 cups thin coconut milk (Or you can used canned coconut milk if fresh is not available)
- 3 pieces of Seeded Breadfruit, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 6 -7 pieces crabs, wash and cleaned
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 thumb size ginger, grated or sliced
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 4 pieces bird’s eye chili, cut into pieces
- 4 tbsp. fish sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Squeezed thick coconut milk by combining 2 cups of warm water with grated coconut and squeezing the juice from it. Set Aside.
- Squeezed thin coconut milk by combining the same grated coconut with 5 cups of warm water. Set aside.
- In a pan, pour and heat oil and sauté garlic, onions and ginger until onions become translucent.
- Add crabs and pour in the thin coconut milk and the breadfruit pieces. Stir and simmer until breadfruit is tender and the sauce a little dry.
- Add the thick coconut milk and fish sauce.
- Simmer for around five minutes or until the sauce has become oily and the coconut milk has curdled a bit.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and the chili.
- Serve hot and enjoy with rice!