A heritage recipe of Beef Mechado from the Reyes culinary clan shared at the Maya Kitchen. Nancy Reyes Lumen, a chef, author and TV personality shared how to cook ‘Mechado’ the way Lola Asiang does. By using plenty of over ripe tomatoes and shallots.
Heritage Recipe of Beef Mechado
1 kilo kampto (flank), cubed
1 tbsp patis,
¼ cup toyo
1 tbsp vinegar
½ pack achuete powder
1 ½ kilo shallots, chopped
3 kilos or more of over ripe tomatoes, seeded
500 grams garlic, minced
¼ cup tomato paste
1 finger panocha, (1 tbsp matamis na bao or sugar alternatively)
1-2 cups beef or chicken broth
1 medium carrots, sliced
1. Marinate the beef in patis, toyo and vinegar. About 4-6 hours.
2. Heat some olive oil and achuete powder to become orange in color.
3. Fry the beef in the oil until dark brown on all sides.
4. Using another pan, heat olive oil and achuete powder. Sauté the shallots until very soft.
5. In large bowl, crush the tomatoes by hand to release juices and skins.
6. Add in the tomatoes and cook until it turns into a paste.
7. Next, add the garlic and cook another 5 to 10 minutes. Season according to your preference.
8. Combine tomato paste, beef and the broth.
9. Let it boil using high to low heat. Let it cook with lid until beef becomes so tender.
10. Season with salt and peppercorn if needed.
11. Finally, add in panocha, carrots and let it simmer until carrots is cooked. Turn off heat.
Serve hot with rice. Enjoy!
You may also try our:
Thanks for dropping by our website! Did you try cooking this recipe? Send us your food photo or feedback. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.