A heritage recipe of Beef Mechado from the Reyes culinary clan shared at the Maya Kitchen. Nancy Reyes Lumen, a chef, author and TV personality shared how to cook ‘Mechado’ the way Lola Asiang does. By using plenty of over ripe tomatoes and shallots.
Heritage Recipe of Beef Mechado
- 1 kilo kampto (flank), cube
- 1 tbsp patis,
- ¼ cup toyo
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- olive oil
- ½ pack achuete powder
- 1 ½ kilo shallots, chopped
- 3 kilos or more of over ripe tomatoes, seeded
- 500 grams garlic, minced
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 finger panocha, (1 tbsp matamis na bao or sugar alternatively)
- 1-2 cups beef or chicken broth
- 1 medium carrots, sliced
- Marinate the beef in patis, toyo and vinegar. About 4-6 hours.
- Heat some olive oil and achuete powder to become orange in color.
- Fry the beef in the oil until dark brown on all sides.
- Using another pan, heat olive oil and achuete powder. Sauté the shallots until very soft.
- In large bowl, crush the tomatoes by hand to release juices and skins.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook until it turns into a paste.
- Next, add the garlic and cook another 5 to 10 minutes. Season according to your preference.
- Combine tomato paste, beef and the broth.
- Let it boil using high to low heat. Let it cook with lid until beef becomes so tender.
- Season with salt and peppercorn if needed.
- Finally, add in panocha, carrots and let it simmer until carrots is cooked. Turn off heat. Serve hot with rice. Enjoy!