Braised Beef Brisket and Tendon
- 2 lbs. Beef short rib plate (boneless)
- 2 lbs. Beef tendon
- White radish, 1x cut to small cubes
- Ginger, 1 big piece-cut to pieces
- 6 cloves Garlic
- Shallot, x1 cut to pieces
- 4 tbsp. Dark soy sauce
- 4 tbsp. Light soy sauce
- 50 grams Rock sugar
- 4 tbsp. Oil
- 4 tbsp. Cooking wine
- 8 cups Water
Making the magic sauce:
- 3 tbsp. Salted Red bean curd (available in online stores/shopee)
- 1 ½ tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 3 tbsp. Ground bean sauce (substitute with hoisin sauce)
- 1 ½ tablespoons Oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 tbsp. Garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Shallot (minced)
- 1 tbsp. Ginger (minced)
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- Browning the beef and tendon: Blanch the brisket and tendon in a big pot of boiling water for ten minutes. Take beef out and go through a cold water bath immediately. Cut up brisket and tendon to small cubes.
- Heat oil in wok and put in ginger, garlic and shallot. Put in beef brisket and tendon cubes once you can smell the garlic and ginger smoking. Brown the brisket and tendon for five minutes and turn over often to avoid burning.
- Splash the cooking wine to the edge of the wok and let it evaporate. Keep turning the brisket so essence of the wine can mix in with the beef.
- Take everything out from the wok and separate the brisket and tendon. (Tendon takes an extra hour to cook.
- Prepare the magic sauce: Heat wok to medium heat, put in two tablespoons of oil. Add minced garlic, ginger, and shallot to the wok and let it cook for a minute but avoid burning. Put in red bean curb sauce, hoisin sauce, ground bean sauce, oyster sauce and sugar. Mix well and let it simmer for two minutes so everything can blend in together.
- Braising the tendon and the brisket: Place tendon in the wok with four cups of water, dark sauce, light soy sauce, oyster sauce and add rock sugar, stir well till it boils again. Turn heat down to medium low, cover it with a lid and let it simmer for an hour.
- Turn heat to high. Add beef brisket at the end of an hour. Mix well with the tendon and allow liquid to boil again. Cover with a lid and turn heat down to medium low and let it simmer for another hour.
- Add white radish at the end of the second hour, mix well. Cover it with the lid and allow simmer for another hour. If the brisket is not tender enough, you can cook it for another half an hour. Turn heat to high to reduce excess liquid if necessary.
- As an option, mix four teaspoons of cornstarch with four teaspoons of water to thicken the sauce. Add a few chopped scallions and cilantro on top before serving, dinner is served.
- You can serve with wonton noodle, fan rice noodle, ramen, or plain rice. Enjoy!