Authentic Beef Stroganoff recipe with thin slices of beef. But it’s really all about the sour and creamy mushroom gravy. This is the most simple way to cook Beef Stroganoff. You can’t get enough of it! We got you 2 recipe version in case you want to cook it in a crockpot.
BEEF STROGANOFF RECIPE
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ pound sirloin beef, very thin (see note)
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 1 cup white mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ground rosemary (dried sage, basil, or thymes alternatively)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups beef broth and chicken broth (may also use broth cube)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream (or all purpose cream)
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pan, melt 1 tablespoon butter.
- Brown beef, remove from pan and set aside. If there is a lot of excess grease, drain the excess oil. Add the rest of the butter.
- Sauté onions and mushrooms until soft and starting to turn golden, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add flour and stir until flour is cooked a bit, about 2 minutes.
- Add beef and chicken broth to make it more tasty, stirring constantly.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and the beef along with any accumulated juices.
- Season with dried rosemary. Simmer on low heat until thickened, flavors have melded, and beef is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Be sure it’s not burning or sticking on the bottom by stirring occasionally.
- Off heat, stir in cream and sour cream until combined. (You may add more cream and sour cream if you want it really saucy, using the ratio of 1 is to 3)
- Serve over egg noodles or rice. Enjoy!
- You can use sirloin beef or breakfast steak or ground beef in this recipe. The meat must be very thinly sliced.
- Pound it with a mullet if needed.
- The beef chunks will be more tender if you use a nicer cut of meat. I have used beef stew chunks in the past, but they can be tough to make tender. Cooking them longer will help though. I actually love this recipe with ground beef, just be sure to drain off the excess grease.
- It’s also best to use leftover beef. It’s a great way to use leftover steaks, roast, or anything other leftover cut you don’t want to waste. Just omit steps 1 and 2 and start by sautéing the onions.
Crockpot Beef Stroganoff
- 2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
- 2 cans Condensed Golden Mushroom Soup
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 tbsp of Worcestershire
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 oz of cream cheese
- 1tsp garlic salt
- couple dashes of Hot Paprika (optional)
- Egg Noodles (cooked)
- sour cream (garnish)
- thymes, (garnish)
- In the slow cooker stir in all the ingredients together, (except the meat AND the Cream Cheese). Once combined add the meat and mix together.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours.
- Cut up the cream cheese into cubes just before serving and turn crockpot on high. Stir the cream cheese in until all combined. You might have to put the lid back on and leave for 10 minutes.
- Serve with cooked egg noodles, You can put it all in a big dish and mix together or add noodles on each plate and spoon beef stroganoff on top. Garnish with favorite fresh herbs or dried herbs and a dollop of sour cream on top. Serve and enjoy!