Filipino Callos or Ox Tripe Stew is a Spanish inspired recipe with ox tripe, chorizo, chick peas or garbanzos, bell peppers, green olives in rich red tomato sauce.
Just to add more flare you may also put a little white wine and some red hot chili peppers to boost the flavor and taste.
Who can resist this super hot and delicious Callos now. Happy cooking and enjoy!
FILIPINO CALLOS RECIPE
- 1/2 kilo Honeycomb Tripe
- Freshly ground Pepper
- 2 chorizo bilbao sausages, sliced diagonally
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups Tomato sauce
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 medium size carrots, diced
- 1 medium size potato, diced
- 2/3 cup pitted green olives
- 3/4 cup chickpeas (garbanzos)
- 2 cups vinegar
- 7 liters water
- 1-1/2 kg ox hooves (feet/shank)
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned)
1. Clean and wash Honeycomb Tripe in vinegar thoroughly. Rinse and brush to remove any dirt.
2. Boil Honeycomb Tripe in 9 cups of the water for 8 minutes. Drain and discard water.
3. Clean and wash ox hooves well. Boil in 9 cups of the water for 12 minutes. Drain and discard water.
4. In a casserole, combine Honeycomb Tripe and ox hooves.
5. Pour in remaining 12 cups water and bring to the boil, then simmer for about 2 hours or until meats are tender.
6. Remove meats from broth and let cool.
7. Reserve 1 ½ cups of the broth.
8. Meanwhile, heat corn oil in a frying-pan and fry the chorizo pieces until firm, about 3 minutes per side. Set aside.
9. Slice the trip into 1-inch squares. Remove meat from the ox hooves and slice similarly. Set aside.
10. Heat olive oil in a casserole and saute until fragrant.
11. Add the sliced meats and saute until lightly brown.
12. Pour in tomatoes, canned tomato sauce, potatoes and the reserved broth. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
13. Add the chorizo, carrots, red bell pepper, olives and chickpeas and season paprika, salt, pepper and, if desired Tabasco.
14. Simmer just enough for the vegetables to heat through. Serve with steam rice.
You may also try our:
Thanks for dropping by our website! Do you want to be notified with our latest recipes? Just hit “yes” on the pop up window and allow us to notify you with new recipes everyday.
Did you try cooking one of our recipe? Send us your food photo or feedback. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.