This Chicken Estofado recipe is so delicious with fried plantains banana and carrots. Try it for any occasion or potluck and it will be a hit in any party! Simple and easy to cook. Just make it ahead of time to marinade the chicken first to guarantee the best taste ever.
Chicken Estofado Recipe
- 1 whole chicken or leg quarters (at least 1 kilo)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup cane vinegar
- ½ cup sprite
- Pineapple juice
- Salt and pepper
For Main Cooking:
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 Tbsp. light olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium-sized onion, sliced
- ½ cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 medium-sized potatoes, quartered
- 2 medium sized carrots, sliced in about ½ inch think diagonals
- 3 plantain bananas, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. muscovado sugar or brown sugar
- Rub chicken with salt, pepper. Then, marinate with cane vinegar, sprite, pineapple juice, crushed garlic and soy sauce. Let it sit overnight if possible or at least 30 minutes. The longer the better. Drain and reserve marinade.
- In a large pan over medium heat, brown potatoes, carrots and bananas in light olive oil. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, using low heat lightly brown chicken (on both sides). Remove from pan and set aside.
- Sauté garlic, onion and tomatoes in the same pan until tomatoes are soft. Add marinade and sugar. Season with salt and black pepper to suit your taste. Bring to a boil.
- Using low heat, add back the chicken in the sauce. Cover pot and simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Add carrots potatoes and bay leaves. Simmer without cover for another 5 minutes or until carrots are cooked.
- Transfer chicken, potatoes and carrots to a serving plate. Place fried banana plantains on the side. Pour sauce on it.
- Serve with hot rice. Enjoy!
Cooking Tips: You may also add your choice of alternate ingredients: pineapple or olives, raisins, bell pepper. To add a kick of spiciness, add one or two chilis.