Skip to content
The classic recipe is always a fail proof recipe you should always go to on Holiday season. Its easy, simple and yet the best. Happy cooking and Happy holidays!
ROASTED PORK BELLY “LECHON”
- 1.5 kg pork belly slab, skin on
- 3 whole garlic bulbs, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ cup oregano leaves, washed then chopped
- 3 red onions, peeled and chopped around 4
- 5 lemongrass stalks, sliced
- the zest from 1 lemon
- juice from 1 lemon
- a little over 1/8 cup salt, plus more for an even rub around the pork
- 4 tablespoons crushed black pepper
- Combine all the aromatics in a bowl and mix well. Lightly mash everything together with the back of a spoon.
- Alternatively, use a food processor to bring everything together with only around 2-3 pulses. With the skin side down, rub the mixture all over the meat.
- Roll the slab, carefully invert the meat and secure it with butcher’s twine.
It’s okay if there are a few pieces of herbs that fall off, you can place it back later.
- Rub coarse salt all over the meat, including the skin.
- With a paring knife or fork, poke the skin of the meat. This will ensure a nice crackling.
- Transfer it to a roasting fitted with a rack and the bottom lined with foil.
- Place it in the refrigerator to chill overnight. This will dry the skin, which helps the crackling form.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Just to be sure, pat the skin of the pork dry with a paper towel. Roast the pork for 5 hours.
- Afterwards, increase the temperature to 220°C, and allow the pork’s crackling to form. This will take another 30 minutes to an hour.
- When done, remove from the oven and allow to cool a bit before slicing. Enjoy!
YOU MAY ALSO TRY OUR:
Lechon Sauce Recipe