This Cream Cheese Flan Recipe is smooth and creamy and cooked over a steamer! Yes, no need for an oven..and it is so much perfect than the oven.
Cream Cheese Leche Flan (Steamed)
Makes 6 servings
For the Caramel:
¾ cup white sugar
For the Cheese Flan:
½ cup granulated white sugar (if you like it sweet use 1 cup)
4 egg whites
8 egg yolks
8 oz Pauly cream cheese, softened at room temperature
½ cup milk ( any liquid milk like bear brand or nido or fresh milk)
1 can (370 ml) evaporated milk
1 can (300 ml) sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ tsp salt
1. For the Caramel:
Place sugar in a round lanera pan around 5” in size over lowest heat. Cook until the sugar melts, stir it occasionally until sugar has dissolved and turns caramel in color. Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
2. Egg Yolk mixture: In a medium bowl with a whisk, lightly whisk the egg yolks, add the ½ cup of milk and stir to combine. Add 1 tsp vanilla, 1 can of 370 grams evaporated milk, and 1 can 300 grams condensed milk. Just stir it (not whisk) until all ingredients are just combined. Set it aside.
3. For the Cream cheese mixture:
In a mixing bowl, using an electric hand mixer. Beat softened cream cheese until smooth and creamy (occasionally scraping the side of the bowl). Gradually add ½ cup of sugar and continue beating until sugar is dissolved. Then add ¼ tsp of salt and beat again until dissolved. Scrape down the sides of the bowl again.
4. Using a manual whisker, gradually pour egg whites in 3 batches and continue whisking the cream cheese mixture. (Texture will slightly separate, don’t worry it’s just normal, it will go back together as you continue whisking.) Keep whisking until cream cheese mixture becomes smooth and creamy.
5. In a large bowl, gradually pour the cream cheese mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Stirring the mixture together until just combined.
6. Pour mixture into prepared caramelized pan. Place aluminum foil to cover the lanera.
7. Preheat your steamer and let it boil. When water is boiling, transfer the lanera in the steamer rack. Start steaming the cheese flan mixture, cover the steamer and lower down heat to lowest. Steam for 30 to 45 minutes. Check it with a toothpick inserted in the center is still wet @ 30 minutes steaming time. Continue steaming for additional 15 minutes until you see that your flan becomes a little fluffy in the center or the top is set. Turn off steamer and remove foil cover.
8. Let it cool at room temperature in a wire rack before refrigerating for several hours or overnight. Run a clean knife around the edge before inverting onto a serving plate.
Serve and enjoy!