Kusahos is an Ilonggo way of preserving beef through sun drying. It is like beef jerked. Sun drying the beef and marinade makes the meat so tasty.
Kusahos (Tapa ng mga Ilonggo)
- 1/2 kilo beef tenderloin ( slice thinly)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 heads garlic ( minced)
- 2-3 chili peppers (optional for frying)
- 1 tbsp banana ketchup (optional for frying)
- Combine all the ingredients. Mix well and marinate it for 30 minutes.
- Once the marinate is already absorbed you can start to dry it under the sun. Be sure to keep away the flies and other insects.
- In summer, where the sun is fierce, it can dry up in only 2-3 hours. One day is enough but you can also make it 2-3 days until it is almost “cooked” under the sun.
- If you cant find a way to do the sun drying process because of so many reasons. Don’t worry you can also try to dry it in the oven. As tasty as the sun dried and less hassle too.
- Oven drying option: You can also dry out the beef in a 200F oven on cookie racks over a cookie sheet for
- 20 minutes on one side and turned it over for another 15 minutes or so. This wont turn into desiccated beef, just not juicy.
- You’ll know it is ready for frying, once it is dried.
- Fry until just crispy to your likings plus some banana ketchup and chopped chili peppers for a spicy version. You can top it with toasted garlic. Enjoy!