- ½ kilo pork belly
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic (crushed or minced)
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water or pineapple juice (I personally like to use pineapple juice when making this recipe)
- 3 pieces dried bay leaves
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tablespoon ground black pepper or 1 teaspoon whole peppercorn
- 1 tablespoon salted black beans
- ½ cup dried banana blossoms
- boiled eggs (optional)
In a bowl, marinate the pork in soy sauce and ground black pepper or whole peppercorn for an hour.
Heat the cooking pot, pour in the cooking oil, and saute onions and garlic. Cook until the onions turn soft.
Add the bay leaves and pork from the marinade, and stir fry for a few minutes.
Add the pineapple juice and bring to a boil. Simmer until the pork is tender. Add a little bit of water when needed.
Pour in the vinegar and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the brown sugar and black beans. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
Throw in the dried banana blossoms and let cook for another 8 minutes.
Optional: Add the boiled eggs (without the shell), and simmer for a minute.
Serve hot with steamed rice. Enjoy!