Potato Croquettes are the best recipe to make from leftover mashed potatoes. But if you are making this from scratch, you can check this delicious mashed potato recipe. Mashed potatoes are so good when served up with bacon and eggs in the morning too. So make it ahead, then do the croquettes the next day from leftovers.
This recipe is fairly all around, just season the flour with paprika, salt, and pepper (because my mashed potatoes are already so good, I don’t have to go heavy on spices). However, feel free to add spices you wish, like garlic, basil, onion powder, etc.
Potato Croquettes Recipe
1/2 cup of all purpose flour
1/2 tsp of paprika
1 tsp of milk
1/2 cup of fine bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese
left over potatoes or 2 large mashed potatoes
- Take about 2 tbsp of mashed potatoes into the palm of your hand, form them into a ball, and flatten them out in a circular shape with your fingers.
- Add some fair amount of cheese in the center, fold the edges of the potatoes over the cheese, and roll them into an round or oval shape. Set them aside on a plate and repeat this for the remaining potatoes.
- Prepare 3 bowls. Place the flour into the first bowl and add in the paprika, salt, and pepper. Mix until everything is well combined.
- Crack the egg into the second bowl, add in the milk, and beat it.
- Add the fine bread crumbs in the third bowl.
- Lightly coat the potato croquettes into the flour. Switch hands and coat them with the egg mixture. Switch hands once again and coat them with the bread crumbs. Set them aside on a plate once again.
- Heat enough amount of oil in the pan. Place the croquettes in hot oil (cook it in batches) and fry them over medium heat for about a minute in each turn. Just look out, as they brown up quite fast.
- Turn them three times allowing them to cook for about 1 minute per turn or until they are a nice golden brown.
- Serve your potato croquettes up with gravy on the side.