“The term ‘sisig’ refers to the spicy and fatty meat dish popular for the Filipino beer-drinkers because of it’s unique sizzling blend of spiciness, sourness, saltiness and aroma. ‘Sisig’ is also considered as a special viand these days and often served with steamy rice for lunch or dinner at home. The common and original main ingredient for cooking ‘sisig’ are parts of pig’s head. But today, If you don’t like to eat fatty and oily dishes, ‘sisig’ can also be made using other ingredients such as: chicken, tuna, Bangus, squid, and tofu. Chicken sisig is one of the healthy alternative versions of the ever popular pork sisig.”
Cooking notes: To make it even more crispy you can add crushed chicharon on top upon serving. Yummm!
Chicken Sisig Recipe
- ½ kilogram chicken fillet
- 300g chicken liver (you may substitute with Liver Pâté or liver spread)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 2 pcs. long green chili (siling haba), chopped
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 3 tbsp. vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Calamansi
- 2 pcs. red chili pepper (labuyo), chopped
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- Meat Preparation:
- In a small pot, boil chicken fillet and liver for about 3-4 minutes. Drain from water.
- Transfer chicken and liver in a bowl, season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a pan, melt butter then fry chicken and liver until color turns to golden brown and slightly crispy. Set aside to let cool. (If you have a griller, its best to grill it than fry and bake it after frying so it gets crispier, your goal is to make it crispy first)
- In a chopping board, mince chicken and liver into very small pieces. Set aside.
For sisig assembly:
- In the same pan, heat butter then sauté garlic and onions until fragrant.
- Add the minced chicken and liver, crush the liver while cooking.
- Add chopped green chilies, soy sauce, vinegar and ground pepper. Mix well.
- Stir fry until the sauce is absorbed by the chicken. Turn off heat.
- Transfer into serving platter and add mayonnaise. Toss it well.
- If using sizzling plate, add fresh egg on top. If using serving platter, you can just fry egg and garnish it on top of sisig. Sprinkle crushed Chicharron if you like.
- Serve with calamansi and Knorr savor seasoning on the side. Enjoy!