This ultimate Lechon Macau (Crispy Roasted Pork Belly) is your crackling goal. Tried and tested secret recipe of making any pork belly skin crack like no other! Don’t worry about the bean curd, you can always substitute it with your favorite seasoning like the Lee Kum Kee Char Siu Sauce in sachet or oyster sauce. It’s really up to your taste.
Lechon Macau Recipe
- 2 slabs of pork belly (2 kg)
- rock salt
- 2 pieces of red fermented beancurd (Temple Brand), mashed or may substitute with charsiu sauce or oyster sauce
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp chinese cooking wine
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp five spice powder (ngohiong powder)
- 2 tsp sugar
- Clean and wash the pork thoroughly. Air dry or pat dry with kitchen towel.
- In a small bowl, mix all the marinade ingredients and mix well.
- Using the tip of a knife, prick all over the pork. Place the pork skin-side down on a rack.
- Brush the marinade all over the pork slab and each side (except for the skin).
- Transfer the pork, skin-side up in a tray or a container and wipe the skin thoroughly with paper towel. Leave the pork in the refrigerator, uncovered overnight.
- Let the the pork stand at room temperature before roasting (for about 2 hours).
- The goal is let the skin dry out inside the refrigerator overnight. You can give it a blow dry after by using a hair dryer. It’s a technique to ensure that the skin has totally dried out. (Remember: The drier the skin, the better the crackling when roasted).
- Preheat oven to 230°C.
- Transfer the pork, skin-side up on a rack set over a roasting pan.
- Drizzle oil all over the skin of the pork, then sprinkle enough salt to fully cover the entire skin. (Cover with lots of salt on top like it forms another salt layer)
- Transfer the pork into the oven and roast for 20 minutes.
- Then reduce the oven to 200°C and continue roasting for another 50 – 55 mins. Adjust cooking time as needed until your pork is well done.
- Remove meat from the oven and allow to rest for 10-15 mins before cutting. Brush away excess salt. Serve and enjoy!!
You may also try our:
(Please note on the affiliate link for this post: I may earn a little amount when you buy the product from this link connected to the seller)