Leche Flan de Macapuno Pie
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pinch fine salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 1/4-1/3 cup ice cold water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup bottled Macapuno
- For the pie crust: Grind the following ingredients in a food processor or blender/stand mixer; combine flour, sugar, and salt and stir. Add cold cubed butter and pulse until you achieve a crumb-like texture. While pulsing, drizzle in just enough cold water to bring the dough together. Place the mixture on a dusted work surface, flatten into a disc, and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in fridge for about 1 hour.
- Place and roll out chilled dough on a dusted surface until 1/2-inch-thick. Gently place it in a greased 10-inch pie plate. Trim off excess dough; discard. Cover with plastic wrap; chill until firm, about 2 hours.
- For the custard filling: In a bowl, combine sugar, flour, and milk. Stir until sugar dissolves. Transfer to a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring until the mixture thickens and starts to bubble. Cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat.
- Place egg yolks in a bowl. Pour in a little of the custard filling and stir until combined.
- Add the this egg mixture to the remaining custard. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add vanilla extract, Then stir. Set aside to cool.
- Scatter Macapuno over the crust. Pour in the cooled custard.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until the crust is cooked through.
- Cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill for 10 minutes before serving.
YOU MAY ALSO TRY OUR:
Floating Island Recipe (Filipino Style)