Marcasotes or Marquesotes – is very similar to the portuguese sponge cake (Pão-de-Ló), the only difference is the baking style. Marcasotes is a native steamed cake in Bicol cooked in handmade paper bags.
Marcasotes ng Bicol (Marquesotes)
- 8 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour.
- Beat the egg whites until hard peak. Add the sugar gradually. Continue beating after each addition. Then add the flour one tablespoon at a time, continuously beating the meringue.
- The old technique of cooking is using a huge clay pot (which serves as oven) lined with cut banana bark at the bottom to provide the steam for cooking. The faint smoke flavor comes from the “gatong” under the clay pot, gives the native delicacy it’s unique taste and aroma.
- Let it cook until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Alternatively you may use muffin cups and bake it in traditional oven.