Yes you can easily cook homemade pan tortillas for your kids in a Pan with any savory meat filling you like! Your own homemade tortillas sandwich. No need for oven!
Homemade Flour Tortillas (Pan Cooked)
- 3 cups plain (all purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup warm water (lukewarm like a baby bath)
- Mix the flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Add the oil and water and mix well until the dough starts to come away from the sides of the bowl and form a ball.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for 3 to 5 minutes or until dough is smooth. Add a little more flour if it is too sticky.
- Shape the dough into a sausage shape about 40cm long.
- Divide the dough in half and half again and so on until you have 16 pieces roughly the same size.
- Roll each piece into a ball and then flatten it out with the palm of your hand.
- Cover the dough pieces with a clean tea towel and allow them to rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Working on one at a time, roll out each dough piece on a lightly floured surface. Try to get them nice and thin.
- Place the dough circle into the not frying pan and cook for 1 minute or until a few golden brown spots appear on the underside. Some bubbles will also start to form on top.
- Flip the tortilla over and cook for another 30 seconds. If the tortillas are browning too fast, turn the heat down a little.
- Remove the tortilla from the pan and place in a large ziploc bag or covered container. This will keep them flexible and warm.
- Repeat steps 9 to 12 with the remaining dough circles.
- Serve warm with your favourite taco fillings