Filipino Native Kakanin at Merienda – Try our Putchinta (Puto + Kutchinta) in one. Another yummy Filipino snack you can try at home for business or simple pot luck. You can find the lye water substitute here for Filipinos abroad who can’t find it on Asian stores.
PUTCHINTA (PUTO + KUTCHINTA)
3/4 cup Glutinous Rice Flour
3/4 cup Rice Flour / All purpose flour
2 tsp Lye Water
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 cup Water
1 drop Red food color (optional or just use atsuete)
Cooking Oil for brushing muffin pan or moulder
1 cup all-purpose/plain flour, sifted
1 tbsp. baking powder, sifted
1 tbsp. powdered milk, sifted
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup water
1/8 cup or 1 tbsp. melted butter
1 large egg
1. Prepare moulds and brush with oil. Boil water in the steamer pot.
2. Combine all dry ingredients together and mix it well.
3. Add in water, lye water and a few drops of red food colouring. Mix it thoroughly using a wire whisk.
4. Strain the mixture into a jug to remove any lumps.
5. Brush the muffin pans or moulder with oil and pour the mixture halfway through or depending on your desired thickness. Steam for 10-15 minutes.
6. While waiting for the kutchinta, prepare the puto. In a separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients for the puto batter.
7. Make a well at the centre of the dry ingredients then add all the liquid ingredients.
8. Add melted butter and mix well. Transfer the batter in a jug. Divide the mixture if you wish to add flavourings (optional).
9. Pour the puto mixture into the cooked kutchinta moulds (fill up to 3/4 of the moulds) .
10. Steam for around 10 – 12minutes (depending on the size of your puto). Insert a stick in the middle of the puto, when the stick comes out clean, then your puto is now cooked. Remove from the heat and let it cool down completely before removing from the mould.
11. Brush melted butter on your plate. Loosen up the puto from the moulds once cooled down then transfer it into the plate.
You may also try our:
Thanks for dropping by our website! Do you want to be notified with our latest recipes? Just hit “yes” on the pop up window and allow us to notify you with new recipes everyday.
Did you try cooking one of our recipe? Send us your food photo or feedback. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or message us on our Facebook Page.