Delight the taste of these yummy Red Velvet Cookies!! Enjoy these wonderful dessert for the coming holiday. Nice for giveaways and sweet treats for kids and friends. I got two recipes for you. The first one is from scratch and the second recipe is the shortcut (quick and easy). I also provided the cream cheese filling for crinkle sandwich (optional).
Yield: 30 pieces medium (60 pieces small)
Red Velvet Crinkles (From Scratch)
- 2 ¼ cup All Purpose Flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter (softened at room temperature)
- 2 oz cream cheese or ¼ cup
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp red gel food color
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup powdered sugar for dusting
- For Cream Cheese Filling:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (softened at room temperature)
- ½ block cream cheese, cubed in small pcs (room temperature) or 1 cup
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, sift and whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Beat butter and Cream cheese for 1-2mins. Add sugar then beat again for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, then add the food coloring and vanilla extract.
- Add flour-Cocoa mixture in 2 batches, mix it well after each addition with a spatula.
- Cover the dough in cling wrap and chill for 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Line and grease a baking tray. Scoop batter, roll in powdered sugar and arrange on the tray. Bake for about 10-12 minutes until cookies begin to spread and show “crinkle” texture.
- Once done, remove from the oven and let it cool on a cooling rack.
- You can prepare the cream cheese filling at this time. Or you may also serve it without the filling.
- For the Cream Cheese Filling: Beat butter and cream cheese together until fluffy. Then add powdered sugar, little by little until well incorporated and smooth. Then add vanilla extract to flavor.
- When cookies are completely cool, spoon filling onto one side and sandwich with another cookie. Let set and then enjoy! Store in an airtight container.
- For single crinkles do the medium size. This recipe can yield 30 pieces medium size.
- If made into smaller size, can yield up to 60 pieces to make a sandwich.
- For red velvet crinkle sandwich, make it in smaller sizes.
Red Velvet Crinkles (Shortcut)
- 1 box Red Velvet cake mix
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- powder sugar
- 1 (8oz) block of cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 3 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 to 2 cups powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F (or 176°C). In a stand mixer or manually, use a grease wooden spoon, mix together cake mix, oil, water and egg. Dough will be sticky. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and drop into a small bowl of powdered sugar.
- Roll dough balls in powdered sugar and place on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes, until cookies begin to spread and show “crinkle” texture. Cool on cookie rack.
- While cookies are cooling, prepare the frosting. Mix the first three ingredients in a stand or hand mixer and slowly add powdered sugar, until desired consistency is reached.
- When cookies are completely cool, spoon frosting onto one side and sandwich with another cookie. Let set and then enjoy! Store in an airtight container.