If you love Chicken Inasal of Bacolod city, you don’t have to go anywhere else. Because you can definitely do your own grilling or ihaw ihaw at home. Chicken Inasal is favorite Ilonggo grilled chicken dish with a distinct marinade from calamansi, garlic, lemongrass, coconut vinegar and basted in annato oil. Pair it with soy sauce, labuyo and calamansi dipping sauce. What a perfect combination with fresh steamed rice! Prepare it for the Holiday menu too. and practice cooking it today. Everyone will rave about it. Happy cooking!
How to Make Chicken Oil ala Mang Inasal:
In a pan, put a little bit of water with chicken skin, cook it over low heat until the water dries out (it will render its own oil), fry the chicken skins (or the butt of the chicken) until the oil comes out. Just fry the skin of the chicken over low heat until it is browned and have rendered the oil you need. Add atsuete/annato seeds until the oil turns red. Strain or separate the atsuete/annato seeds and chicken skin. Transfer the Chicken oil to a clean bottle and put a tight lid on it so it doesn’t go rancid. You can use this Chicken Oil when your Chicken Inasal is cooked to flavor and add moisture to the Grilled Chicken.
Special Chicken Inasal Recipe
- 1.5 kilograms Chicken, (leg to thigh cut)
- For marinade:
- 1 head garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp ginger, chopped
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sinamak (native coconut vinegar)
- 10 pcs calamansi, juice extract
- 1/2 cup lime soda (7-up or Sprite)
- 3 stalks tanglad (lemon grass), julienne
- salt and coarsely ground pepper
- For Basting Sauce:
- 1/2 cup Margarine or Butter
- 1/4 cup atsuete (annatto seeds) oil
- salt and pepper
- large bamboo skewers
- charcoal for grilling
- In a large bowl, place the garlic, ginger, a small amount of sugar, vinegar, Calamansi juice, soda, Tanglad, salt, and pepper. Mix all the ingredients then add the chicken meat.
- Lightly rub the marinade on the meat then place chicken in the chiller and let sit. After 30 minutes, turn the meat and let it sit for another 30 minutes. Do not marinate overnight. (If you want it overnight, add the vinegar at a later time because it can turn the meat mushy if soaked too longer in vinegar)
- (For Basting Sauce) : In a saucepan, over low fire, heat Star Margarine and annatto seeds. Cook for about 2-3 minutes then turn off heat. Add a small amount of salt and pepper to taste.
- Skewer the meat. Make shallow slits/slices on chicken from leg part to upper thigh (optional: spread it out). Grill over hot charcoal, skin side down, basting it once in a while with the margarine atsuete mixture. As much as possible do not turn the meat more than twice since the result will be drier meat.
- Serve while hot together with steamed rice. Share and enjoy!
(Filipino Version) Paano Gumawa ng Mantika ng Manok ala Mang Inasal:
Sa isang kawali lagyan ng konting konting tubig para panimula hanggang sa matuyuan (hayaan lumabas ang sarili nitong mantika), prituhin mo Iang ang mga balat ng manok (or mas mainam rin ang pwet ng manok), hanggang sa lumabas ang sarili nitong mantika. Pagmantikain mo lang ang balat ng manok gamit ang mahinang apoy at hanggang sa matusta ito. Lagyan ng atsuete seeds sa pagprito hanggang sa pumula ang mantika. Salain or ihiwalay ang atsuete at balat ng manok. Isalin ang Chicken oil sa malinis na bote at lagyan ng mahigpit na takip upang hindi agad mapanis. Maari mo ng gamitin itong Chicken Oil kapag naluto na ang iyong Chicken Inasal pampasarap at dagdag moist sa Inihaw na manok.