Tandoori Chicken, Sweet n’ Spicy Shrimp and Moroccan Vegetable Skewers
*For Tandoori Chicken
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon paprika (your choice hot, sweet or smoked)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (lightly toasted)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander (lightly toasted )
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins (or boneless breasts or thighs cut into strips)
*For Sweet and Spicy Shrimp
- 1 lb. 16/20 shrimp peeled and deveined (wild caught gulf shrimp)
- ½ Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoon crushed pineapple
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- Juice from one lime
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- 1 cup fresh pineapple , peach or mango cubes
- 1 cup red onion chunks
- 1 cup bell pepper chunks
*Moroccan Vegetable Skewers
- 2 zucchini (green or yellow), sliced into wheels
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced and separated into 1″ pieces
- 1 pound button mushrooms
- 6 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon curry
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon light chili powder
- ½ Tablespoon sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ bunch fresh parsley finely chopped
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro finely chopped
- *Tandoori Chicken: Mix all of the ingredients (except for the chicken) and place in a gallon size freezer bag
- Add the chicken to the bag and marinate in the fridge for 1-2 hours or overnight if possible.
- Remove the bag of chicken from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on a skewer. Grill chicken until cooked, about 5 minutes per side.
- *Sweet and Spicy Shrimp: Place peeled and deveined shrimp in a large Ziploc freezer bag.
- Combine garlic, ginger, chili paste, soy sauce, pineapple, honey, lime juice, salt, and oil in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly.
- Set aside half of the marinade and add the mixture over shrimp and refrigerate for two hours. Do not marinate too long it will begin to cook the shrimp.
- Place shrimp on skewer alternating with fruit, pepper, and onion. Brush with remaining marinade and place on lightly oiled grill and cook for about 3-5 minutes per side. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve on a bed of rice.
- *Moroccan Vegetable Skewers: Place all the spices ingredients into the food processor and combine it well (except herbs and veggies). Pulse 6-8 times to ensure garlic is minced.
- Meanwhile, transfer the cut veggies into a bowl. Add chopped parsley and cilantro to mixture. Completely coating veggies with the spices. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Remove the bowl from fridge and place veggies on skewers alternating for color.
Grill over a medium heat for 12-15 minutes turning as needed. Serve over rice or grains and enjoy!
Tips for Grilling Skewers:
- Soak wood skewers for at least an hour before using so they don’t burn as easily
- Put a light coating of oil onto grill grates to keep skewers from sticking
- Sometimes indirect heat is a great way to make sure your skewers don’t burn. After getting some color on the skewers move to indirect heat to finish cooking.