We’ve got two version of Chicken Ampalaya. The next time you cook Chicken with Ampalaya, also try the second version with Oyster sauce. Its yummy too!
Chicken Ampalaya in Black Bean Sauce
- 1/2 kilo chicken, chopped
- 1 lb ampalaya, julienne
- 1 thumb size ginger, sliced thin
- 3 pieces garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium size onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoon black bean sauce
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
1. In a pan, heat oil and saute ginger, onion and garlic in cooking oil until fragrant.
2. Toss in the slices of chicken and let it cook until golden brown.
3. Pour in 1 cup of water and bring it to a boil.
4. Add in seasoning; ground pepper, hoisin sauce and black bean sauce. Stirring constantly for a minute or two.
5. Adjust heat to low and simmer chicken until fully cooked. Let the sauce reduced to half.
6. Lastly, add in the ampalaya and simmer for few more minutes uncovered until cook through. Adjust seasoning if needed, since black bean sauce is already salty.
7. Remove the dish from heat, transfer to a serving dish and serve with steam rice.
Recipe 2: CHICKEN AND AMPALAYA WITH OYSTER SAUCE
- 1 kilo chicken, chopped in serving size
- 1-2 large size, ampalaya, split in halves de-seeded, sliced crosswise
- 1 medium size onion, chopped
- 1/2 head garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- salt and pepper
- cooking oil
1. Prepare chicken and marinate it first in soy sauce, cornstarch and a dash of salt and pepper for 10 to 15 minutes.
2. In a large pan, heat an oil to stir fry the chicken in batches until brownish on both side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
3. In the same pan, heat another oil to sauté garlic and onion until caramelized. Toss in the ampalaya and stir cook for 1 to 2 minutes then add in 1/4 to 1/3 cup of water.
4. Let it cook another 3 minutes and let the ampalaya cook.
5. Then add back the chicken and oyster sauce. Toss and cook for another 1 to 3 minutes.
6. Finaly, thicken your sauce with slurry. (cornstarch diluted in 1/4 cup of water) Let it cook for about half a minute, until sauce thickens. Serve hot and enjoy!
You may also try our:
Cream Cheese Leche Flan (Steamed)