We’ve got 2 best recipe version for you that you can choose from. They are both the best recipe version of Chicken Kare Kare. Choose the ones you really like. Happy cooking!
Yield: 8 servings
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1/2 pound baby bok choy, cut into quarters
- 1/2 pound green beans or yard-long beans, cut into 2″ pieces
- 1/2 pound Asian eggplant, cut into slices
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons annato paste or ground turmeric
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- Salt, to taste
1. In a dry skillet set over medium-high heat, toast the rice flour for 5-7 minutes or until pale golden-brown and nutty in aroma, shaking frequently to ensure it toasts evenly. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan set over medium-high heat, saute green beans and eggplant in olive oil for 3-5 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Add bok choy and saute for another 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
3. Add chicken thighs to the pan, and cook for 7-8 minutes or until well browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
4. Add onions and garlic to the pot, and saute for 5-7 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add annato and cook for 1 minute longer. Pour in stock and fish sauce, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Whisk in peanut butter and toasted rice flour, stirring well to break up any lumps. Return chicken to the pot, and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until chicken thighs are cooked all the way through and sauce is thickened
5. Stir in the cooked vegetables and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until eggplant is warmed through. Remove from heat. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, if necessary. Serve the stew immediately on a bed of freshly cooked white rice.
Chicken Kare Kare (Recipe 2)
Good for 3-4 persons.
- 1 kilo chicken, cut in serving pieces
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup ground toasted rice
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup string beans(sitaw), cut into 2 inches
- 1 bundle bokchoy(petchay)
- 3 pieces egg plant, cut lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon annatto seeds(dissolved in 2 tablespoons hot water, discard seeds)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 chicken broth cube(optional)
- sauteed shrimp paste
1. In a pan, heat oil and fry all the vegetables and continue cooking for 3-5 minutes. Do not over cook the vegetables. Drain and set aside.
1. In another pot, heat oil and saute onions.
2. Add chicken, water and chicken cube. Simmer until chicken is tender.
3. Add peanut butter, ground toasted rice and annatto water. Keep stirring until the sauce thickens.
4. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper according to taste.
5. Add banana heart, string beans, eggplants and bok choy. Simmer until vegetables are tender.
6. Transfer to serving bowl, serve with sauteed shrimps paste.
Note: You may also use leftover roasted or fried chicken.
You may also try our: