- 1 Whole Chicken
- 8 pcs Star Anise
- 1½ cups Silver Swan Soy Sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp All purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Oil
1. Boil and mix Soy Sauce, black pepper, water, oil, star anise then cool. this should make about 2 cups yield, we will be using this for marinade, brushing/basting and the final gravy.
2. Clean your chicken well, pat dry using kitchen tissue, marinade chicken with prepared sauce over night.
3. Preheat your oven to 325 F. Roast the chicken for about 45 minutes or so, or until the skin turns dark golden brown. Brush your chicken with prepared sauce every 8-10 mins. This will make the Chicken very juicy and tender.
4. Using the reserved marinade, mix about ½ tsp of flour for every 1 cup of Sauce, boil then cool. You may lessen or add a little more flour depending on the thickness while you are cooking you gravy.
See more at http://www.kusina101.com/2013/12/classic-savory-chicken-recipe.html
Recipe 2: Savory-style Chicken
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 bundle lemon grass (‘tanglad’), crushed
- Sesame oil
- 1 bundle lemon grass, crushed, chopped
- 1 head garlic, crushed
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp ngohiong powder (Chinese five-spice powder)
- Spring onions, chopped
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- 3 tbsp. cooking oil or olive oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp. peanut butter (unsweetened)
- 1/8 tsp ngohiong powder(Chinese five-spice powder)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mix all marinade ingredients (except bay leaves) and put in a blender. Blend marinade mixture on low until lemongrass and garlic are finely chopped. Set aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
Filter and discard solid particles of the marinade mixture using a sieve.
Combine chicken, marinade mixture and bay leaves in a plastic zip-loc bag, marinate overnight in refrigerator.
The following day, stuff chicken with lemongrass. Let stand for about 30 mins.
Roast chicken in oven at 425°F for 1 1/2 hour (Note: a better way is to use a probe thermometer and when the internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken reaches 175°, pull the chicken from the oven).
Prepare basting sauce by mixing 2 tbsp. sesame oil to the marinade, baste chicken in oven every 15-20 mins.
Roast until golden brown.
Serve with the prepared gravy.
How to Make the Gravy:
Mix cooking oil and 1/4 cup flour.
Stir mixture in a sauce pan over low heat for about 4 minutes, until the color changes to brown.
Mix the remaining flour into the chicken broth and pour in to the pan.
Add ngohiong powder (5 spice), peanut butter
Bring the mixture to a boil and stir cook for a few minutes until the mixture thickens
Add more broth if necessary.
Add salt and pepper to taste.