Classic Savory Chicken
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 bundle lemon grass (‘tanglad’), crushed
- Sesame oil
- 1 bundle lemon grass, crushed, chopped
- 1 head garlic, crushed
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp ngohiong powder (Chinese five-spice powder)
- Spring onions, chopped
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- 3 tbsp. cooking oil or olive oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp. peanut butter (unsweetened)
- 1/8 tsp ngohiong powder(Chinese five-spice powder)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a blender or food processor, combine all marinade ingredients (except for bay leaves). Pulse marinade mixture over low until lemongrass and garlic are fine. Set aside.
- Using a fine sieve, strain and remove bits and pieces left from blending the sauce.
- Add the chicken, marinade mixture and bay leaves in a covered container, and let it marinate overnight inside the refrigerator.
- After 8 hours of marinating, stuff chicken with lemongrass. Let it sit for additional 30 mins.
- Roast chicken in oven at 220°C for 1 ½ hour (Note: you may use a thermometer and when the internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken reaches 80°C, pull the chicken from the oven). Or prick the groin part of the leg and clear juice run out.
- For the basting sauce; Stir 2 tbsp. sesame oil to the marinade sauce, baste chicken in oven every 15-20 mins so it doesn’t dry up outside. Roast until golden brown.
- Serve with the prepared gravy. Enjoy!
- How to Make the Gravy: In a saucepan, stir cooking oil and 1/4 cup flour. Stir mixture over low heat for about 4 minutes, until the sauce becomes brownish.
- Stir the remaining flour into the chicken broth and pour in to the saucepan.
- Season with ngohiong powder (5 spice) and add the peanut butter. Bring it to a boil and stirring occasionally until the mixture becomes thick.
- Adjust thickness by adding some broth if needed. Add salt and pepper to taste.