Quick and Easy Baked Macaroons Recipe topped with Bechamel Sauce or white sauce on top. Super simple but yummy recipe. Happy cooking!
Filipino Style Baked Macaroni
- ½ kilogram macaroni elbow
- Cooking or vegetable oil
- ¼ kilogram ground pork
- 1/8 cup cooked ham, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 1 medium white sweet onion, diced
- 1 piece laurel leaf
- 2 cups Clara ole tomato sauce (Three Cheese)
- 100 ml. banana ketchup
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Grated parmesan cheese (or any cheese)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese (or any cheese)
For Bechamel Sauce:
- 6 tbsp Unsalted Butter (1 stick)
- 6 tbsp Flour
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 3-4 cups milk – fresh milk or any powdered milk will do, dissolved in warm water. Powdered milk is rich in fat. The fat in this milk will help the sauce becomes thick. (I used the dry ingredient cup size)
1. Cooking Macaroni: Cook macaroni in a pot of boiling water with ¼ tsp. salt and ½ tablespoon cooking oil or until al dente according to package instructions. Once cooked, drain completely then set aside.
2. Cooking Meat Sauce: In a large sauce pan, heat cooking or vegetable oil, sauté garlic until golden brown and toss in onion just until it becomes a little translucent.
Add ground pork until meat becomes tender. I usually sprinkle a little salt to bring out the meat flavor. Don’t forget the laurel leaf.
3. Mix in cooked ham, sauté a little then add ½ cup water, tomato sauce and banana ketchup.
4. Season with sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
5. Remove from heat, set aside. Let it cool for a while then combine meat sauce with macaroni.
6. Toss in some cheese into the macaroni. Top it with Bechamel sauce (see instructions below) and remaining grated cheese as toppings.
Optional: sprinkle fresh basil or dried basil or parsley leaves to make it more aromatic and delicious
7. Baking: Preheat oven at 190°C (375°F).
8. In a baking pan or dish of desired size, spread macaroni into the pan. Spread remaining cheese on top of the macaroni.
9. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese melts or until cheese becomes golden brown in color.
10. Remove from oven and serve while still warm with toasted garlic bread sticks. Enjoy!
How to make Bechamel Sauce
(This is the thick white sauce used for the toppings. In french cooking they call it roux).
1. Using two separate pan, scald or simmer milk in low heat and use the other pan for the butter and flour mixture.
2. Melt the butter, using low heat. Make sure not to burn it. It should look golden yellow. 3. Once butter is in little bubbles mix flour, whisk it using fork, until it becomes egg like lump and paste like, then add grated cheese. 4. Mix until smooth using very low heat. Pour simmering milk into your butter and flour mixture.
5. Stir it until smooth and thick in consistency. Turn of heat. It will dry out on top, so don’t forget to film it with a tbsp of fresh milk to moisten the top.
You may also try our:
Thanks for dropping by our website! Do you want to be notified with our latest recipes? Just hit “yes” on the pop up window and allow us to notify you with new recipes everyday.
Did you try cooking one of our recipe? Send us your food photo or feedback. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.