Filipino Style Recipe of Lechon Manok or Roasted Chicken With Mango Lime Chili Sauce. Wrapped and roasted in banana leaves and stuffed with pandan leaves and other spices. This roasted chicken really smelled so good after baking.
Roasted Chicken (with Mango Lime Chili Sauce)
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 tbsps. light soy sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tbsp. cooking oil
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- a few slices of ginger
- 3 pandan leaves, knotted
- banana leaves
- aluminum foil
1. Mix the soy sauce, salt, garlic powder, turmeric and lime juice. Rub the mixture all over the chicken, including the cavity.
2. Stuff the cavity with the garlic, ginger slices and pandan leaves. Leave to marinade for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 400°F / 200°C.
4. Lay the banana leaves on top of a big sheet of aluminum foil. Lay the chicken on top of the banana leaves, rub with the 1 tbsp. of oil and wrap with the leaves then wrap tightly with the sheet of aluminum foil.
5. Lay the wrapped chicken on a baking rack in a roasting tin. Add water to the tin so that the drippings don’t burn.
6. Bake for 30 minutes.
7. Lower the oven temperature to 350°F/ 180°C. Open the chicken parcel. Cook for a further 50-60 minutes, turning at half time to brown the other side of the chicken. Brush with the drippings occasionally.
8. I drizzled some Mango Lime Chili Sauce on top of the chicken to give it some glazed look. Serve it on a large platter with fresh grapes on the side.
Mango-lime Chilli Sauce:
- 1 ¼ cup pure mango juice
- juice and grated rind of 1 lime
- 5 tsps. white sugar
- 2 tsps. corn flour
- 1 tbsp. water
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 red chili, chopped
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 4 tsps. fish sauce
1. In a saucepan, add mango juice, lime juice and sugar and bring it to a boil. Stir until the sugar melts.
2. Dissolve corn flour in the water and add it in the saucepan to thicken the sauce .
3. Let it simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients, stir and let it boil.