Mafo Tofu is made of soft tofu and is a spicy chinese cuisine. It is not the regular tokwa (firm tokwa ) we all normally use in Philippines. Soft/Silken tofu is softer and finer in texture. It is the kind of tokwa used for taho making.
Nowadays, soft tofu can be bought in major supermarkets in Metro manila (Find it along the chiller section of the supermarket). You can also buy it online, at Lazada or Shopee and look for Instant Soft Tofu (It is a powder dissolved in hot water to become soft tofu for Taho making too). Also same for Szechuan peppers, can be purchased online. Though, I am not endorsing any store for monetary reason. I just want to inform you folks on where to possibly purchase, just in case you really want to cook it.
This recipe can be a good appetizer for alcohol drinkers. You got to try it, it is very spicy and delicious. Happy cooking!
MAPO TOFU RECIPE (TOKWA)
- 300g minced pork, (or ground pork)
- 2 blocks soft/silken tofu
- 2 stalks spring onions chopped
- 2-3 tbsp black bean paste (this is salty so no need for salt)
- 1/2 cup chinese cooking wine
- 1/2 cup chicken Stock
- Freshly ground Szechuan pepper, use according to the spiciness you want
- Dried Red Chillies, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Peanut Oil
1. Heat up a wok using a very high heat
2. Add oil and sauté garlic and chillies
3. Add the pork and continue to stir fry on really high heat for 3 minutes.
4. Add cooking wine, chicken stock, black bean paste, continue mixing.
5. When the sauce thickens or reduced add tofu and pepper, cover and simmer in medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
6. Top with spring onions. Enjoy!
You may also try our: