Mafo Tofu is made of silken tofu or tokwa and is a spicy chinese cuisine. It is not the regular tokwa (hard tokwa ) we all know in Filipino. Silken tofu is softer and finer in texture. It is the kind of tokwa used for taho making.
Nowadays, silken tofu can be bought in major supermarkets in Metro manila. Depending on stocks though, due to very low demand. This recipe can be a good appetizer for alcohol drinkers. You got to try it, it is very spicy and delicious. Happy cooking!
MAPO TOFU RECIPE (TOKWA)
- 300g minced pork, (or ground pork)
- 2 blocks silken tofu
- 2 stalks spring onions chopped
- 2-3 tbsp black bean paste (this is salty so no need for salt)
- 1/2 cup Chinese cooking wine
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock
- Freshly ground Szechuan pepper, use according to the spiciness you want
- Dried Red Chillies, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Peanut Oil
1. Heat up a wok using a very high heat
2. Add oil and sauté garlic and chillies
3. Add the pork and continue to stir fry on really high heat for 3 minutes.
4. Add cooking wine, chicken stock, black bean paste, continue mixing.
5. When the sauce thickens or reduced add tofu and pepper, cover and simmer in medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
6. Top with spring onions. Enjoy!
Also check out our latest recipe:
Thank you for dropping by our website!
Do subscribe to our daily recipes by clicking on Subscribe.
You may comment on this post using our Facebook Comment plugins too.
Do you have any questions about this recipe? Do you have any concern about the ingredients, substitute or any cooking tips? Just comment below for any feedback. We’d love to know your thoughts.
Kindly rate back our recipes if you tried it and you’re satisfied. Thanks a lot for supporting our website.
Photo by @geoffchow