Suman Malagkit (budbud) is a favorite Filipino kakanin delicacy. In Visaya it is best partnered with hot chocolate and with slices of fresh mangoes. This is a favorite breakfast and snack for most Filipinos. You can buy it in local markets in town in most cities in the Philippines.
Suman Malagkit (BUDBUD)
- 2 cups glutinous rice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups fresh or canned coconut milk
- banana leaves cut into 7′ x 10″
Note: for Visayan Budbud just add 1 tsp grated ginger to coconut milk mixture)
1. Wash malagkit thoroughly and soak with water for 30 minutes to an hour.
2. After soaking, drain.
3. Dissolve sugar and salt in coconut milk and add mixture to malagkit rice.
4. Bring mixture to a boil and cook for another 20 minutes on low heat or until coconut milk is completely absorbed by rice. Let cool.
5. Soak banana leaves in boiling water to sterilize and wipe clean.
6. Scoop 1 ½ tbsp of cooked sticky rice into each banana leaf and roll to wrap. Tie two wrapped suman together and arrange inside the steamer.
7. Steam wrapped suman for 40 mins.
Best served with ripe mango and tsokolate.
Happy cooking and enjoy!