Calamares or otherwise known as Calamari is an italian word for cooked squid. But here in the Philippines, it is better known as Calamares.
Calamares is a fried squid sliced into rings and coated in crispy breading. It is a favorite side dish among Filipinos. Calamares is commonly served as an appetizer for alcohol drinkers. But now also being sold as street foods too. Internationaly it is known as Calamari because it is the cooking term for cooked squid. And it is said to have numerous recipe variety in Mediterranean cuisines.
Around the globe, people are fond of calamari. Just a cooking tip that you must not ignore is to cook it with a timer. Over cooking calamari may result in a rubbery texture.
How to make Calamares
300g large sized squid
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
2 pieces raw egg, beaten
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 cups cooking oil
1/2 tsp salt
The squid must be cleaned and sliced into rings.
1. In a bowl, combine squid, salt, and ground black pepper then mix well. Marinate for 10 minutes.
2. Heat a cooking pot then pour-in cooking oil.
3. After marinating, roll the squid rings in the flour, then dip it in the beaten eggs and roll it in the breadcrumbs.
4. When the cooking oil is preheated over medium heat, deep-fry the squid until the color turns golden brown. It may take 2-4 minutes only. Do not overcook the squid.
5. Remove the fried squid from the cooking pot and transfer in a plate with paper towels (to remove the excess oil), then serve.
6. Share and happy eating!
You may also try our:
Did you try this recipe? Send us your food photo. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.
You may also post it in your own timeline publicly: Instagram, Facebook and Twitter and hashtag us #MamasGuideRecipes. Thanks a lot for supporting our website and help other friends discover great recipes.