Creamy Satin smooth Caramel Covered crazy dessert. I love this spanish version with eggs, milk and real vanilla. Just a few simple ingredients and its magic.
I love to add a pinch of salt to the custard blend and a wee bit of fresh squeezed orange juice and a hint of spices like nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger. Really just a little.
I also add a pinch of salt to the sugar once it begins to bubble and you gotta watch that sugar like a HAWK EYE. So you don’t burn it and then move quickly to pour it in your flan pan before adding the custard and baking.
SPANISH LECHE FLAN RECIPE
¾ cup sugar
1 can evaporated milk (300ml)
1 can condensed milk (300ml)
4 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla (preferrably fresh vanilla)
1-3 tablespoon sugar, for caramel
Cooking tips: add a hint or pinch of nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, fresh orange juice.
1. Add a few tablespoon of sugar in a leche flan mold or metal bowl with a pinch of salt. Heat over medium-low heat until sugar is completely melted and begins to turn a golden caramel color. Swirl to coat bottom and sides of mold. Set aside to cool.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients.
3. Pour the custard through a strainer into the flan mold which has been coated with the caramelized sugar.
4. Cover flan mold with tin foil and place in a large roasting pan filled with enough water to come at least half way up the sides of the mold. (Water bath baking)
5. Bake at 350°F (or 176°C) for one hour. Remove the foil cover and check for doneness (toothpick, butter knife, should come out clean). Let it cool COMPLETELY!!
Let it chill out on the counter before you flip it and then be sure to scrape all that yummy caramel sauce out on top
6. If it’s not quite ready, replace the foil and bake another 30 minutes or until done.
7. Remove from water bath and allow to cool completely before refrigerating.
8. Refrigerate at least an hour. This will make your flan firm, so it doesn’t break when unmolded. Or just let it cool COMPLETELY in counter.
9. Invert onto a serving platter and be sure to scrape all that yummy caramel sauce out on top and then slice and share. Enjoy!!!
You may also try our newest recipe:
Credits: Jose Krakatoa
Thank you for dropping by our website. Happy cooking!