Callos is a traditional Madrid beef trife stew (Callos Madrileños), which we acquired during the spanish colonization in our country. This colorful and tasty recipe is a traditional Spanish-Filipino Dish. It is called Callos because “callos” in spanish is ox tripe which is the main ingredient of this recipe.
This dish is a rare and favorite recipe in special Filipino gatherings. Try it today and enjoy!
Callos Recipe (Filipino Style)
½ lb ox tripe
2 pounds beef feet
8 strips of bacon, sliced into squares
2 pcs of chorizo bilbao
8oz tomato sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste
6 cups of water
2 cups of beef broth (made of water and half a beef bouillon cube)
1 can of green peas
1 can of garbanzos
1 big onion, minced
8 cloves of garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper sliced to strips
1 cup of vinegar
2 tablespoon rock salt
1 tablespoon paprika
salt and pepper, for seasoning
4 bay leaves
1 tablespoon peppercorns
1. In a large bowl, add ox tripe and beef feet with 2 cups of water, 1 cup vinegar, rock salt and let it soak for about 2 to 3 hours.
2. Wash and clean tripe and beef feet.
3. In a large pot, boil 3 cups of water. When the beef scums float on top, remove and take out meat. Then wash it again thoroughly.
4. In another clean pot, add back the meat and fresh new water. Add half of quartered onions, peppercorn, and bay leaves. Bring it to a boil. Simmer for 3-4 hours or until very tender and wash it again. (You may use a pressure cooker and it will only take 30 minutes when it starts to whistle).
5. Slice the ox tripe into 1″ strips and de-bone beef feet.
6. In a large pan, fry the bacon for 3-5 minutes or until pork fat is rendered.
7. Add and saute garlic, onions and chorizo de bilbao. Add the tripe and beef feet. Season with paprika and continue to sautè.
8. Add bell pepper and saute for 5 minutes more.
9. Add in tomato sauce and tomato paste, bring it to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes more.
10. Pour in the beef broth. Let it boil and simmer for 1 ½ hours until the sauce becomes thick.
11. Add green peas and garbanzos and let it cook for 10 minutes.
Serve hot and enjoy!
You may also try our:
Bellychon (Oven-Smoked Style)
Thanks for dropping by our website! Do you want to be notified with our latest recipes? Just hit “yes” on the pop up window and allow us to notify you with new recipes everyday.
Did you try cooking one of our recipe? Send us your food photo or feedback. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or message us on our Facebook Page.