This Peking Style Chicken Special is just like the Peking Duck served in chinese restaurants. You can easily make a homemade version of this recipe without needing to buy a duck but instead using a chicken. It’s simple, easy and delicious homemade Chinese Style chicken.
Peking Style Chicken Recipe
2 kilogram whole chicken, cleaned
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp dry sherry, (alternatively, cooking wine, rice wine, mirin or white wine)
1 tbsp white vinegar
3 tbsp cornstarch + ⅓ cup water, dissolved
6 cups (1500ml) water
1. Wash the chicken thoroughly. Pat it dry with paper towels, making sure there are no feathers or quills left on the skin of the chicken.
2. Make the Peking Sauce:
In a large pot, pour 6 cups (1 ½ Liter) water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat.
3. When the water starts to boil, stir 2 tablespoon honey until it dissolved. Add 2 tablespoon dry sherry and 1 tablespoon white vinegar. Bring it to a boil.
4. Then make a slurry (⅓ cup of water + 3 tablespoon cornstarch). Dissolve until the cornstarch turns into a white opaque liquid. Gradually add the slurry to the boiling pot of water. Stirring constantly, and letting it boil back.
5. Carefully, slide down the chicken into the boiling water. Ladle the sauce over the chicken and fully coat it. Let the chicken soak longer, so the meat taste sweeter and tangier.
6. Transfer the basted chicken without cover on a rack. Let it air dry for about 6-8 hours. This process will remove excess moisture and tighten the skin. This is a very important step in every perfect Chinese Peking (duck). (No need to use a fan, but the chicken/duck should be hang in a clean, cool and airy place).
7. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C/Gas Mark 4).
8. Fill a tray with 1-3 inches of water and place it on the bottom of the oven, to catch duck drippings and to keep the meat moist while baking.
9. In a greased rack, place the chicken breast side up, in the center of the oven. Bake the chicken for 30 minutes. Then, turn the chicken breast side down and bake for another 45 minutes.
10. Turn the chicken again, breast up, and roast for additional 30 minutes (just enough for the skin to turn dark brown).
11. Brush with brushes of scallion and hoisin sauce and chop up into serving sizes. Best served with chinese pancakes. Happy cooking and enjoy!
You may also try our:
Thanks for dropping by our website! Do you want to be notified with our latest recipes? Just hit “yes” on the pop up window and allow us to notify you with new recipes everyday.
Did you try cooking one of our recipe? Send us your food photo or feedback. If we love it, we will feature it with your name on our website. Send it to us via email: email@example.com or message us on our Facebook Page.