Sylvanas or Silvana is a cashew meringue wafer. It is a classic favorite of many pinoy. Though it is mispelled most of the time. Like, Sylvanas or silvanna. I became curious too, what might be the exact correct spelling? So I checked Wikipedia.
A silvana is a Filipino dessert. It is a frozen cookie made from a layer of buttercream sandwiched between two cashew-meringue wafers coated withcookie crumbs. The silvana is thecookie version of the Sans rival, a Filipino cake made up of similar ingredients. –Wiki
I remember my childhood days when my Mama would buy boxes of these crispy wafers with milky icing filling and cashew flavor. It is just the best.. Let’s go ahead and bake some of these. And who knows, these could be your next breakthrough in food business.
6 egg large whites
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup salted butter
1 cup sifted powdered sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 3/4 cup cashew nuts
2 cups cake crumbs (left over cake pieces)
*drops of assorted gel food coloring (added to cake crumbs)
*Divide the cake crumbs into separate bowls, and color it with gel food color.
For Meringue wafer:
1. Using a blender or food processor, ground cashew nuts until very fine.
2. In a large bowl, Beat egg whites and cream of tartar by using an electric hand mixer. Gradually add the granulated sugar, and beat till it forms a stiff peak. Fold in the ground cashews. (parang icing na sa lapot)
3. Transfer the meringue in a piping bag. Pipe the mixture into a round shape in a tray lined with parchment paper.
4. Bake at 300°F (or 148°C) for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
5. Let it cool and carefully remove each meringue round shape wafer from the parchment paper. Set aside.
6. In another bowl, beat the softened butter until creamy with an electric hand mixer. And little by little add powdered sugar. Then gradually pour the milk until well incorporated.
7. Carefully arrange meringue wafers, flat side on top. Spread the buttercream on 2 meringue wafers and form a sandwich wafer.
8. Cover all sides with buttercream.
9. Sprinkle cake crumbs into each wafer until fully coverred. Refrigerate and chill.
10. Serve and enjoy!
Also check out our latest recipe:
Thank you for dropping by our website. Happy cooking!