This monggo bread is my moms favorite, we always have these on the table back in the days…so yummy homemade monggo bread! My favorite merienda pinoy bread.
Monggo Bread Recipe
- FOR THE DOUGH:
- 5 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup fresh milk or whole milk (warm)
- 3 teaspoons yeast
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 2 cups monggo boiled and mashed
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- For the Fillings: In a pan combine all the ingredients then cook over medium heat until it become like a jam ( make sure its not soupy. Set aside for filling later.
- To prepare the dough: Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Mix all the dry ingredients, make a well in the middle, then crack the eggs and beat it there.
- Add the butter and the milk with dissolved yeast.
- Mix well until you can knead them. Transfer in dusted table, knead until the dough is formed and stretchable with fingers. Place it in a big bowl with little oil and roll the dough (just grease). Let rise for 2 hours by covering it with a damp cloth or cling wrap.
- After 2 hours knead the dough for awhile then slice it, make sure each slice should be around 80 grams to make one serving of bread.
- Flatten each portion and make a shape of circle slice the side to form a 4 leaf flower and put the monggo filling and seal it under, make sure each end is well sealed by pressing it.
- Let it rise for 45 minutes. Brush with beaten egg for a good texture.
- Preheat the oven for 20 minutes then bake the bread for 15 minutes or until done at 180C. Serve and enjoy!